An index of the Galapagos Islands and their functionsListed here you will see a listing of the primary Galapagos Islands plus some standard information on the scale and types of species found on Each individual.
one.Baltra (South Seymour) Island – Also referred to as South Seymour, Baltra is a little flat island around the center on the Galápagos. Baltra Airport is one of two airports. Non-public planes fly to Baltra, as it is the only airport with facilities for planes right away. A small bay accommodates the boats awaiting passengers for that cruises from the Galapagos.
2. Bartolome (Bartholomew) Island – A volcanic islet just from the east Coastline of Santiago Island. On the list of "youthful" islands. This island is among the number of that is definitely household into the Galapagos penguin, the only real wild penguin species to live to tell the tale the equator. The inexperienced turtle also resides to the island.
three. Darwin (Culpepper) Island – Named immediately after Charles Darwin. It's got a location of one.one sq. kms. Fur seals, frigates, marine iguanas, swallow-tailed gulls, sea lions, whales, maritime turtles, and pink-footed and Nazca boobies is usually viewed below.
four. Espanola (Hood) Island – Named in honor of Spain and generally known as Hood, just after Viscount Samuel Hood. It can be sixty square kms and also the oldest and most southern with the islands (approx 3.five million years). On account of its remote area, the island has numerous its very own species of lava lizard, mockingbirds and tortoise.
The maritime iguanas exhibit a distinct pink coloration alter over the breeding season. It's the only put in which the waved albatross nests. The islands steep cliffs are a wonderful place for birds to just take off for his or her ocean feeding grounds. Espanola has two visitor web-sites. Gardner Bay for swimming and snorkeling, offers a excellent Beach front. Punta Suarez has migrant, resident, and endemic wildlife.
5. Ferandina (Narborough) Island – Named in honor of King Ferdinand 11 of Aragon, who sponsored the voyage of Columbus. A region of 642 square kms The youngest and westernmost island. Countless maritime iguanas Collect, largely on black lava rocks. The famous flightless cormorants inhabit this island, as do Galapagos penguins, pelicans, Galapagos sea lions, and Galapagos fur seals. Right here you may see lava flows and mangrove forests.
6. Floreana (Charles or Santa Maria) Island – Named right after Juan Jose Flores, the main President of Ecuador. It's an area of 173 sq. kms. On the list of very first being inhabited. Flamingos and green sea turtles nest around the island. The Galapagos petrel, a sea hen, is uncovered right here. At Put up Business Bay, whalers stored a wood barrel that acted for a post Place of work for mail. An underwater volcanic cone and coral formations are available at the “Devil's Crown”.
seven. Genovesa (Tower) Island – Named for Genoa, Italy exactly where Columbus was born. An place of 14 square kms. This island is the edge of a big submerged crater. Nicknamed “chook island” for the many uncommon birds that could be found there. There is a huge Palo Santo forest.
eight. Isabela (Albemarie) Island – Named in honor of Queen Isabela. With a region of four,640 square kms it really is the biggest island with the Galapagos. The island was created from the merging of six massive volcanoes into only one land mass. Galapagos penguins, flightless cormorants, maritime iguanas, pelicans and Sally lightfoot prevodilac sa srpskog na italijanski crabs abound. The island has an interesting lowland vegetation. The 3rd greatest inhabited island, and the one island to contain the equator run via it.
9. Marchena (Bindloe) Island - Named soon after Fray Antonio Marchena, it's got a region of a hundred thirty square kms. House of Galapagos hawks, sea lions as well as the Marchena lava lizard, an endemic animal.
ten. North Seymour Island – Named for Lord Hugh Seymour, an English Nobleman. It's got a region of one.nine square kms. Formed by a geological uplift, it really is residence to quite a few species of birds. North Seymour is a unprecedented spot for breeding birds.
eleven. Pinzon (Duncan) Island – Named after the Pinzon brothers, captains of the Pinta and Nina sailing ships, it has a place of 18 square kms.
twelve. Pinta (Abingdon) Island – Named following the Pinta sailing ship, with a location of sixty sq. km. Sea lions, Galapagos hawks, huge tortoises, maritime iguanas, and dolphins can be noticed right here.
13. Rabida (Jervis) Island – Named to the convent the place Columbus still left his son through his voyage into the Americas. It's got a region of 4.nine sq. kms. Iron contained in the lava provides it a particular pink color. White-cheeked pintail ducks are in a saltwater lagoon. 9 species of finches have already been documented on this island.
14. San Cristobal (Chatham) Island – Named to the patron saint of seafarers, St. Christopher. Chatham was specified for William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham. An area of 558 sq. kms. This island hosts frigate birds, sea lions, huge tortoises, blue- and red-footed boobies, tropicbirds, maritime iguanas, dolphins, and swallow tailed gulls. The islands has the most important freshwater lake from the archipelago, Laguna El Junco. The island has the next airport during the islands and Puerto Baquerizo Moreno within the island will be the cash from the province of Galapagos.
fifteen. Santa Cruz (Indefatigable) Island – Named for that Holy Cross in Spanish, its English name comes from the British vessel HMS Indefatigable. It has an area of 986 square kms. Santa Cruz has the biggest populace. The Charles Darwin Research Station as well as the headquarters on the Galapagos Countrywide Park Service are located in this article. The Highlands are well known for that lava tunnels. Substantial tortoise populations are uncovered listed here. Black Turtle Cove is surrounded by mangroves, with sea turtles, rays and modest sharks.
16. Santa Fe (Barrington) Island – Named for just a town in Spain, with a place of 24 sq. kms. Santa Fe hosts a forest of Opuntia Cactus.
seventeen. Santiago (San Salvador, James) Island – Named for Saint James in English, also referred to as San Salvador, just after the initial island found by Columbus. The island has a region of 585 square kms. Maritime iguanas, sea lions, fur seals, land and sea turtles, flamingos, dolphins and sharks are found here. At Sulivan Bay, a lava movement may be observed.
eighteen. Wolf (Wenman) Island – Named for German geologist Theodor Wolf. It's an area of one.3 sq. kms. In this article, fur seals, frigatebirds, Nazca and crimson-footed boobies, maritime iguanas, sharks, whales, dolphins and swallow-tailed gulls might be witnessed. The vampire finch, which feeds partly on blood pecked from other birds, and is barely found on this island.
19. Daphne Significant – A little island specifically north of Santa Cruz and west of Baltra, this pretty inaccessible island appears, however unnamed, on Ambrose Cowley's 1684 chart. It is important as The situation of multidecade finch populace experiments.
twenty. South Plaza Island (Plaza Sur) – Named in honor of former president, prevod sa italijanskog na srpski Common Leonidas Plaza of Ecuador.. It's a place of 0.13 sq. kms. The flora of South Plaza includes Opuntia cactus and Sesuvium plants, which form a reddish carpet on top of the lava formations. Iguanas are ample, and enormous quantities of birds is usually noticed from the cliffs.
21. Nameless Island – A small islet utilized largely for scuba diving.