An index of the Galapagos Islands and their characteristicsBelow you can find a listing of the leading Galapagos Islands plus some common information on the size and kinds of species located on Each and every.
one.Baltra (South Seymour) Island – Often called South Seymour, Baltra is a small flat island in the vicinity of the middle from the Galápagos. Baltra Airport is among two airports. Personal planes fly to Baltra, as it is the only airport with amenities for planes overnight. A little bay accommodates the boats awaiting passengers with the cruises in the Galapagos.
two. Bartolome (Bartholomew) Island – A volcanic islet just off the east Coastline of Santiago Island. One of many "younger" islands. This island has become the couple of that is household for the Galapagos penguin, the only real wild penguin species to survive the equator. The environmentally friendly turtle also resides within the island.
three. Darwin (Culpepper) Island – Named right after Charles Darwin. It's got a place of one.1 sq. kms. Fur seals, frigates, marine iguanas, swallow-tailed gulls, sea lions, whales, maritime turtles, and red-footed and Nazca boobies might be seen listed here.
four. Espanola (Hood) Island – Named in honor of Spain and also called Hood, just after Viscount Samuel Hood. It really is sixty square kms plus the oldest and most southern on the islands (approx 3.5 million decades). As a result of its distant place, the island has a lot of its own species of lava lizard, mockingbirds and tortoise.
The marine iguanas show a distinct purple coloration change through the breeding time. It is the only position where the waved albatross nests. The islands steep cliffs are an excellent spot for birds to consider off for his or her ocean feeding grounds. Espanola has two visitor web sites. Gardner Bay for swimming and snorkeling, provides a wonderful Beach front. Punta Suarez has migrant, resident, and endemic wildlife.
5. Ferandina (Narborough) Island – Named in honor of King Ferdinand eleven of Aragon, who sponsored the voyage of Columbus. An area of 642 sq. kms The youngest and westernmost island. Hundreds of maritime iguanas gather, largely on black lava rocks. The famous flightless cormorants inhabit this island, as do Galapagos penguins, pelicans, Galapagos sea lions, and Galapagos fur seals. Below you are able to see lava flows and mangrove forests.
six. Floreana (Charles or Santa Maria) Island – Named following Juan Jose Flores, the 1st President of Ecuador. It has a place of 173 sq. kms. One of the very first being inhabited. Flamingos and green sea turtles nest within the island. The Galapagos petrel, a sea hen, is found right here. At Put up Business Bay, whalers stored a wood barrel that acted to be a post Place of work for mail. An underwater volcanic cone and coral formations are available within the “Devil's Crown”.
7. Genovesa (Tower) Island – Named for Genoa, Italy the place Columbus was born. An space of 14 square kms. This island is the sting of a giant submerged crater. Nicknamed “chook island” for the many unusual birds that could be found there. There's a massive Palo Santo forest.
eight. Isabela (Albemarie) Island – Named in honor of Queen Isabela. With a region of 4,640 square kms it really is the biggest island of your Galapagos. The island was created from the merging of six substantial volcanoes into only one land mass. Galapagos penguins, flightless cormorants, marine iguanas, pelicans and Sally lightfoot crabs abound. The island has an interesting lowland vegetation. The 3rd premier inhabited island, and the one island to contain the equator operate via it.
9. Marchena (Bindloe) Island - Named soon after Fray Antonio Marchena, it's got a region of a hundred thirty square kms. House of Galapagos hawks, sea lions as well as the Marchena lava lizard, an endemic animal.
ten. North Seymour Island – Named for Lord Hugh Seymour, an English Nobleman. It's a region of one.nine square kms. Formed by a geological uplift, it's residence to quite a few species of birds. North Seymour is a unprecedented spot for breeding birds.
eleven. Pinzon (Duncan) Island – Named once the Pinzon brothers, captains of the Pinta and Nina sailing ships, it has a place of 18 square kms.
12. Pinta (Abingdon) Island – Named following the Pinta sailing ship, with a location of sixty sq. km. Sea lions, Galapagos hawks, huge tortoises, maritime iguanas, and dolphins is usually seen right here.
13. Rabida (Jervis) Island – Named for your convent in which Columbus still left his son for the duration of his voyage to your Americas. It's got a region of four.9 square kms. Iron contained from the lava presents it a particular pink coloration. White-cheeked pintail ducks live in a saltwater lagoon. Nine species of finches have been noted on this island.
14. San Cristobal (Chatham) Island – Named for your patron saint of seafarers, St. Christopher. Chatham was offered for William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham. A place of 558 square kms. This island hosts frigate birds, sea lions, large tortoises, blue- and crimson-footed boobies, tropicbirds, marine iguanas, dolphins, and swallow tailed gulls. The islands has the largest freshwater lake inside the archipelago, Laguna El Junco. The island has the next airport inside the islands and Puerto Baquerizo Moreno within the island may be the money in the province of Galapagos.
15. Santa Cruz (Indefatigable) Island – Named for your Holy Cross in Spanish, its English title originates from the British vessel HMS Indefatigable. It has an area of 986 prevod sa italijanskog na srpski jezik square kms. Santa Cruz has the largest population. The Charles Darwin Research Station and the headquarters of the Galapagos Countrywide Park Company can be found in this article. The Highlands are well known for that lava tunnels. Substantial tortoise populations are observed below. Black Turtle Cove is surrounded by mangroves, with sea turtles, rays and modest sharks.
16. Santa Fe (Barrington) Island – Named for any metropolis in Spain, with an area of 24 square kms. Santa Fe hosts a forest of Opuntia Cactus.
seventeen. Santiago (San Salvador, James) Island – Named for Saint James in English, generally known as San Salvador, just after the 1st island learned by Columbus. The island has a location of 585 square kms. Marine iguanas, sea lions, fur seals, land and sea turtles, flamingos, dolphins and sharks are discovered here. At Sulivan Bay, prevodilac sa srpskog na italijanski a lava flow can be noticed.
eighteen. Wolf (Wenman) Island – Named for German geologist Theodor Wolf. It's a place of 1.3 sq. kms. Below, fur seals, frigatebirds, Nazca and purple-footed boobies, marine iguanas, sharks, whales, dolphins and swallow-tailed gulls may be seen. The vampire finch, which feeds partly on blood pecked from other birds, and is barely observed on this island.
19. Daphne Big – A small island immediately north of Santa Cruz and west of Baltra, this extremely inaccessible island appears, nevertheless unnamed, on Ambrose Cowley's 1684 chart. It is crucial as The placement of multidecade finch populace research.
twenty. South Plaza Island (Plaza Sur) – Named in honor of previous president, Standard Leonidas Plaza of Ecuador.. It has an area of 0.thirteen sq. kms. The flora of South Plaza contains Opuntia cactus and Sesuvium plants, which form a reddish carpet in addition to the lava formations. Iguanas are considerable, and large numbers of birds is usually noticed from your cliffs.
21. Nameless Island – A little islet utilised largely for scuba diving.